Volunteering at an animal shelter or humane society can be an incredibly rewarding experience and provides benefits to both the volunteers and the animals. Here are some of the wonderful reasons to volunteer at the Brown County Humane Society:
- Community – The Brown County Humane Society is staffed with wonderful, welcoming people who provide a sense of community every time that you’re there. You know that your time is being valued and appreciated and that they are truly grateful for your help. If you are looking for an opportunity to be more social and have more time with people, then this is a great way to do that.
- Opportunities – There are numerous ways in which you can volunteer so that no matter what your skill set is, there are ways for you to contribute. You can walk dogs, help take care of cats, write blog posts, create graphics and flyers, fundraise, foster, make phone calls, staff events, and participate in many other ways. It’s a great way to try out something new, or to build on skills that you already have.
- Exercise / Health – For those individuals who choose to walk dogs, it’s a great way to get outside and be active. There is plenty of space to walk the dogs on leash, as well as fenced-in areas where you can let the dogs off leash, toss a few tennis balls, and enjoy your time with the dogs. Research also shows that spending time with animals lowers blood pressure and stress levels for both people and the animals.
- Animal Companionship – There is nothing quite like the experience of knowing that you just made the day of a shelter animal a little bit brighter. When a dog puts its paws on you to hug you, or a cat cuddles up next to you, it’s hard not to feel good about the time that you’re contributing. For animals that are at the shelter longer, you also get to see the personalities of the animals shine through as they become more comfortable with you and their surroundings.
- Knowing That You’re Helping – Regardless of how you choose to help or contribute your time, you know that you are helping to save the lives of countless numbers of animals that would otherwise continue to be in need.
If you are interested in volunteering, you can contact fill out an application online!